Notes about latest versions of FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
- FFDShow 2009-08-16 (rev. 3026) was compiled by drevil_xxl
using GCC 4.1.1 (libavcodec.dll & libmplayer.dll), FFDShow 2009-09-02 (rev. 3065) MMX* was compiled by clsid
using ICL9 while FFDShow 2009-09-02 (rev. 3065) SSE** was also compiled by clsid
* Only for CPUs with support for MMX (MultiMedia eXperience) instructions.
** Only for CPUs with support for SSE (Streaming SIMD Extensions) instructions. Check if your CPU has support for SSE or SSE2 instructions using Cpu-Z
, a small tool which shows infos about CPU.
First of all, the FFDSHOW consumes way less CPU power than original DivX codecs, even with maximum post-processing. At the same time the post-processing seems to give excellent quality results and allows more configuring than the original DivX 5 codec. It can even automaticly reduce post-processing if your CPU is getting overloaded. The noise filter adds a kind of a rasterising effect to the picture - might be useful in some cases. The alpha version also includes experimental playback for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 files (such as VCD and SVCD movies), which works pretty damn well. Only problem is that MPEG-2 playback can't play the SVCD clips directly from the CD, but requires the video to be extracted to the HDD by using VCDGear first.
Features of FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder
- various compression methods:
· MPEG 4 compatible (Xvid, DivX 4, DivX 5) using libavcodec or XviD
· Divx 3 compatible, MSMPEG4v2, MSMPEG4v1
· WMV1/7, WMV2/8
· H263, H263+, H264
· HuffYUV in YV12 colorspace
· MPEG 1
· Theora (not for regular use, format isn't stabilized yet)
· MPEG 2 by using mpeg2enc code from MJPEGtools project
· all Windows Media Video 9 supported encoders with output to asf/wmv file or AVI
- all common encoding modes: constant bitrate, fixed quantizer, fixed quality, two pass encoding (depends on compressor features)
- for libavcodec and XviD detailed selection of motion estimation method
- minimum and maximum I frames interval
- minimum and maximum quantizer selection, quantizer type and trellis quantization selection for libavcodec
- adaptive quantization (aka. masking) for libavcodec and XviD, single coefficient elimination
- selectable compression of starting and ending credits
- two curve compression algorithms for second pass of two pass encoding - thanks to XviD developers
- second pass simulation: although not very precise, still helpful for tweaking advanced curve compression parameters
- ability to use libavcodec internal two pass code
- image preprocessing with ffdshow image filters (latest ffdshow version must be installed)
- graph during encoding: if your encoding program doesn't provide one
- B frames support: from one to eight consecutive B frames
- support for MPEG 4 quarterpel and GMC
- selectable interlaced encoding
Changes from FFDShow rev. 1483 to FFDShow rev. 1515
- updated libavcodec
- WEB content: Added preliminary German translation of cspOptions.htm + a few fixes to the English version.
- Updated Japanese translations
- Windows Media Center on Vista : temporary fix for some crashes (recent problem)
- 1. YCbCr <-> RGB conversion with color primaries options; 2. Seb.26's level filter (Seb's BTB&WTW)
- updated libavcodec
- Whitelist is now stored as a semicolon delimited string. Now uses 'whitelist' registry value instead of 'useonlyin'. Cleaned up some stuff from past updates to the whitelist.
- added 8 compatible apps
- French translation for new autocrop feature
- 1. Preview version of cspOptions.htm. 2. rename a image
- libavcodec compilation fix for MSVC
- fix YV12 subtitle on MJPEG
- fix some x64 warnings
- ridiculous but more radical fix of rev 1491 issue.
- SSA : fix Default style and *Default issue
- Limit the frame scaling ratio in the AviSynth filter from 1/60 to 60 so a script totally ignoring the input (like "Version()") isn't doesn't skip several thousand frames before producing an image
Comment out lockReceive/unlockReceive DPRINTFs due to them now mostly flooding the debug output
- Workaround for OSD message on Remote API + French translations added on autocrop feature
- minor fix of rev 1485
- update x264
- Autoremove black borders feature (in crop section) : horizontal and vertical bars can now be removed automatically. The algorithm may be improved in the future (some tweaking on parameters)
- temporary fix of vobsub rendering
- SSA/ASS : fix vsfilter compatibility of line height.
- fix vertical scale and fast rendering
- factor out dequant table lookup outside loops, gives a 1-2% speed-up. patch by Andreas Öman %andreas A olebyn P nu%
- Some antivirus software -like AVG- may "detect" a trojan in FFDShow builds. This is a false positive, there are no trojans in FFDShow builds!