On video side, MEncoder is used as back-end, which provides support for nearly all known video compression and container formats as well as rich and useful video filtering features (e.g. post-processing, 3D de-noise).
On audio side, MPlayer and Winamp input plugins used as decoders, various encoders integrated, MediaCoder can simply batch transcode among any known audio formats, with tags transferred, file names generated, and even performing audio filtering (e.g. resample, normalize) on the fly.
Typical applications :
- Improving compression / reducing file size (audio+video -> audio+video): e.g. MPG/VOB/AVI/RMVB/MOV/MP4 -> AVI/MKV/MP4 (Xvid/DivX/H.264 + MP3/OGG/AAC)
- Extracting audio track (audio+video -> audio): e.g. MPG/VOB/AVI/RMVB/MOV/MP4 -> MP3/OGG/AAC/MPC
- Converting to normal VCD/DVD player ready video files (audio+video -> MPEG): e.g. RMVB/MOV -> MPEG 1/2
- Converting from lossless or high-bitrate audio to low-bitrate audio to play with portable DAP (audio -> audio): e.g. APE/FLAC/WavPack (+ CUE sheets) -> MP3/AAC/WMA
- Ripping CDs and compressing it on the fly: e.g. CD tracks-> APE/FLAC/WavPack/MP3/OGG/AAC/WMA/MPC
Supported source formats :
- Audio: MP3, OGG/Vorbis, AAC, MusePack, WMA, RealAudio, FLAC, WavPack, APE/APL, WAV, CUE Sheets, and any other formats supported by Winamp input plugins
- Video: AVI (Xvid/DivX/H.264), MPEG1/2/4, QuickTime (mov), WMV/ASF, RealMedia (rmvb), MP4, Matroska (mkv)
- CUE Sheets
Supported target audio formats :
- Lossy: MP3 (Lame), OGG/OGM (Vorbis), AAC (iTunes, Nero AAC Encoder, FAAC), AAC+/Parametric Stereo (CT, Helix), MusePack, WMA
- Lossless: FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's Audio (APE), WMA Lossless, WAV
Supported target video formats :
- H.264, Xvid, DivX 4/5, MPEG1/2/4, H.263 etc.
Supported target container formats :
- AVI, MPEG 1/2, Matroska, MP4
Changes in MediaCoder 0.6.2 build 4230 :
- [fix] Add Track feature blocking issue on some systems
- [fix] browser mode setting not saved issue
- [fix] CUE sheet index tag issue
- [fix] join mode problem for audio only transcoding
• Related downloads:
- GX Transcoder: is a flexible audio converter, which is able to convert in a batch mode between a lot of audio formats.
- Winamp Transcoder: is a plugin for Winamp which adds a "Transcode" option to the right click - Send to menu in the playlist and media library.
- BeSweet: lets you convert audio files from one format to another. Supported formats : MP3, AC3, WAV, MP2, AVI, Aiff, VOB, Ogg Vorbis.
- ffmpegGUI (with latest ffmpeg build): very simple and fast AC3, MPA/MP2 audio encoder tool. Open WAV, MP3, AVI video, MPG video and convert directly to AC3 or MPA/MP2 audio in one step.
- alltoavi: is a program that batch convert ogm, mkv to avi, with subtitle and audio track selection, video resizing, bitrate and codec selection.